Mega-Entry | 10/07/08
It's been a long time since my last update so here's a really long one to make up for it. Starting with news...FSU beat Miami, I finished at the bottom of Pick 'Em (again), and the Cubs are hitching their hopes to 2009. Here's a little Cubs section from Steve. If you want to scroll past it won't hurt my feelings but there's more "real" entry at the bottom.
1. Radio was invented; Cub fans got to hear their team lose.
2. TV was invented; Cub fans got to see their team lose.
3. Baseball added 14 teams; Cub fans got to see AND hear their team
to more teams.
4. George Burns celebrated his 10th, 20th, 30th, 40th, 50th, 60th,
80th, 90th and 100th birthdays.
5. Haley's Comet passed Earth... twice.
6. Harry Caray was born... and died. Incredible, but true.
7. The NBA, NHL and NFL were formed, and Chicago teams won
in each league.
8. Man landed on the moon, as have several home runs given up by Cubs
9. Sixteen US presidents were elected.
10. There were 11 amendments added to the Constitution.
11. Prohibition was created, and repealed.
12. The Titanic was built, set sail, sank, was discovered, and became
subject of major motion pictures... the latter giving Cub fans hope that
something that finishes on the bottom can come out on top.
13. Wrigley Field was built and becomes the oldest park in the
14. Flag poles were erected on Wrigley Field roof to hold all of the
team's future World Series pennants. Those flag poles have since rusted
been taken down.
15. A combination of 40 summer & winter Olympics have been held.
16. Thirteen baseball players have won the Triple Crown; several
17. Bell bottoms came in style, went out of style, and came back in
18. The Cleveland Indians, Boston Red Sox, Arizona Diamondbacks, and
Florida Marlins have ALL won the World Series.
19. The Cubs played 14,153 regular-season games; they lost the
20. Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii, Oklahoma, and New Mexico were added to
For 1/2 of my birthday present to myself I bought a new TV stand (pictured). After extensive assembly I came to discover that there was no glass top for the top of it--rendering it useless. I sent a semi-angry email to the company asking how they could forgot arguably the most important piece. When I hadn't heard by the next day I decided to call. Like most people who are either passive or aggressive (note: this is not the same as passive-aggressive) I started right in on the aggressive side, safely bypassing assertive. As I laid into the woman on the phone she interrupted me after I took a huge breath to tell me the glass top was strapped to the bottom piece of the console. I went to go look and sure enough. I apologized for being an idiot and she just "yeah" and not in a funny way. That pissed me off even more but I was able to refrain myself from asking her how much life-joy she gets as a Best Buy Furniture Customer Service lackey. I'm nice like that (it's the passive).