DCaversary | 03/01/09
Happy one-year DCaversary to me and Chompy. One year ago today I packed up about 1/5 of my worldly possessions, threw 4/5 in a huge dumpster, and moved from the 60 degree winters of Tallahassee to the 60" of snow winters of our nation's capital. It seems like just yesterday Steve and I were standing outside at 1am fighting about what to bring in the house. Thank God it wasn't snowing like this.
Here's what I've learned about Washington in the past year:
1) You don't get to vote. Well, you get to vote but it doesn't count for anything.
2) People from DC get surprisingly upset if you say you're from DC but actually live in VA or MD. I caught myself doing it a couple months ago.
3) I think most DC residents would be happier if they could pin their resume to their shirt and walk around with it there all day.
4) It's not as unsafe as it's made out to be. I've never really seen a problem aside from regular-city problems. There are a LOT of homeless people but I've never run across any sort of incident.
5) Everyone here is transplanted from somewhere else so there's no real sense of community.
6) Everything is expensive. For real. Real real.
I just started typing while I was waiting for a video of Chompy to upload but it's still not done. Hmmm.
FriendFest2009A is 12 days away and that's exciting. It's interesting that we've had two months of back-to-back Friday the 13ths. There's too much snow on the ground for me to get any coffee so I've spent the past couple of hours in this horrible fog.
Ok, that video is never going to finish.